You share a lot of information about your life online. Interestingly, you think that the information is safe and out of reach of third parties, given that you only share it with your circle of friends, mostly on social media. However, the truth is that anything you share online can be accessed by any skilled and motivated hacker. Sadly, the results can be devastating. Here are some of the things you can do to protect your information that is already online.
What kind of personal information is found online?
Anything that you share on social media or any other website ends up existing on the internet for years. Hackers (cyber criminals, to be precise) are interested in your personal information. Here are some of the things about yourself that may already be online and which hackers may be interested in.
- Your banking details.
- Your full name and address (even the physical address)
- The IP address that you use when you are online (if you do not use a VPN service, then hackers can access your real IP address tied to your real location and issued by your local ISP)
- Any other personal information that you share online which hackers may find important.
How can you protect your personal information?
There are many things that you can do to protect your personal information. The bottom-line is that you should use a VPN service. A standard VPN service like hide.me helps to protect the information that you share online. Here is how this happens.
- The VPN service hides your real IP address and gives you a hypothetical one.
- It prevents you from downloading apps that cyber criminals have infected with malware programs.
- It makes you anonymous when you are online, thus making it difficult for hackers to access your information.